About Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon oil is mainly made up of Limonene, a popular ingredient in many household cleaning products. This essential oil is derived from the rind of a lemon and is a great natural alternative to many cleaning products we use regularly around our homes.
Lemon essential oil has so many uses in and around the home. Here I will mention a few that I practice at home with much success :
- Add a couple of drops stirred into a cold class of water for a refreshing drink.
- Same to a cup of tea with honey.
- Use as a flavoring to food both savory and sweet.
- Surface Cleaning – add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and use to clean benches in your bathroom and kitchen. Smells amazing.
- Mix with olive oil and use with a soft cloth to polish furniture.
- Use neat on sticky goo, to dissolve and clean.
- Add a few drop around spider entries, along with peppermint oil lemon oil is a natural spider deterrant.
- 10 drops in an atomizer to refresh your home and clear out any left over cooking smells.
- I also use 10 drops in the rinse tray of my washing machine cycle will freshen up our families karate uniforms after a hard nights training. Use on any other laundry for that matter, lemon oil leaves the washing machine smelling great.
Lemon essential oil is non-toxic and not known to be an irritant. However it should not be applied neat to the skin (can cause burning) and should not be used even diluted prior to exposure to the sun and it is phototoxic.
As a citrus oil, lemon oil is prone to oxidation caused by temperature changes. It is a good idea to store your lemon oil and other citrus oils in the refrigerator if you do not have another balanced temperature storage solution.
Purchase Lemon Oil
Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions about essential oils, their use and where to purchase. Look out for my book Essential Oils at Home, filled with all you need to know about safely using essential oils at home. Coming soon.
Originally published on BodyPeace.Yoga